Thursday, March 16, 2017

Dallas Woman, 67, Sits In Her Tree To Protest Trimming

A 67-year-old Dallas homeowner protesting Oncor’s tree trimming, climbed up and stayed in her tree for a while Monday (3/13) morning. Jerilynn Huber said she organized her solo sit-in to protect her tree from unwanted trimming. Huber said she was later served with a restraining order from an officer and that it came from Oncor. “They filed a temporary restraining order on me,” said Huber. “They didn’t want me in the tree anymore because that would keep them from trimming it. When did we lose our rights as property owners?” Oncor confirms about six years ago, Mrs. Huber went up into the same tree with a pellet gun and threatened Oncor workers in part of their statement: “We understand that trees are a beautiful, important part of all of our communities, and Oncor takes great care in performing this work while balancing cost, aesthetics and reliability. During this routine trimming in the past, this customer has threatened her own safety and the safety of others, in order to further delay this vital maintenance. Oncor has been in contact with this customer for several months and we have discussed all available options which would minimize trimming. We must now perform this work for the safety of all involved.”   (DFW CBS TV)


Man swipes street sweeper, leads officers on chase

Authorities in Hillsboro, Oregon, said a man who stole a street sweeper led police on a 10-mile chase that reached speeds of up to 65 mph. The Hillsboro police and Washington County Sheriff’s Office said a private contractor was using the street sweeper to clean a Winco parking lot  and got out of the vehicle to use a handheld leaf blower. Investigators said a suspect jumped into the street sweeper, which still had its engine running, and sped away. Hillsboro police pursued the street sweeper in a 10-mile chase that reached speeds of 65 mph before the vehicle was stopped by spike strips laid out by sheriff’s deputies. Haugewood was arrested and charged with vehicle theft, reckless driving, attempting to elude, unlawful entry of a vehicle, unauthorized use of a vehicle, and a parole violation. (KATU 2 TV)


California cat gets help with snake stuck in her nose

A California man who noticed his family’s cat had something caught in her nose took a closer look and identified the offending object — a snake she apparently tried to eat. The Mendocino County resident and some friends captured video of the uploader’s wife’s cat meowing for help with a few inches of what appears to be a sharp-tailed snake (including the reptile’s head) hanging out of her nose. A man’s voice on the video said,“So, this is a cat, who has a snake hanging from her nose. Her name is Marian. We don’t know what the snake’s name is.” The men are able to help Marian by pulling the snake out through her nostril. “My wife’s ridiculous cat failed at eating her prey. Hopefully next time she wont forget to chew. A friend of mine was in town for the weekend and helped catch this on video,” the pet owner wrote. “That is the snakes head hanging out. Our best guess is that it tried to get free while she was eating it but only managed to wriggle into her sinuses… And then out her left nostril.” (UPI)


Two accused of placing man’s body in suitcase, driving it to Arkansas, leaving it in farm field

Police in two states say they are trying to figure out why a couple hauled an elderly man’s body in a suitcase more than 1,000 miles from upstate New York to Arkansas. Virginia Colvin and Michael Stivers are charged with abuse of a corpse after the two allegedly drove 19 hours in a pickup truck from Johnstown, New York to Des Arc, Arkansas, where police say they dumped the elderly man’s body in a rice field. Police think the man, who was believed to be around 90, died of natural causes sometime last week. The couple were living with the man in a Johnstown, New York home and acting as his caregivers. Police say the body found Sunday at a farm 50 miles northeast of Little Rock appears to be that of the man who died in Johnstown. The body has been sent to an Arkansas crime lab to be identified and to pinpoint how he died. (NWA Online)


Are you ever too old to become a parent?

The Italian justice system seems to think so as an elderly couple who had their natural daughter taken away and put up for adoption because they were deemed too old to take care of her. In 2009, 57-year-old Gabriella and 69-year-old Luigi, of Casale Monferrato, Italy, decided to have a baby, and traveled abroad to undergo an advanced in-vitro procedure. In May 2010, Gabriella gave birth to a healthy baby daughter, and the couple made national headlines. They became known as the “grandparent parents”, and faced discrimination from people deeming them too old to take care of a baby. Luckily for them, there was no Italian law that prevented people over a certain age from having and raising children, so they were able to take the baby home and live a normal life. However, the joy of parenthood was short-lived, as in 2011, just 15 months after their daughter was born, the De Ambrosis were accused of “abandonment” for leaving the baby unsupervised for only a few minutes. What followed was a nightmare that continues to this day. The elderly parents will never forget that moment in 2013, when the judge told them that their pregnancy was “the result of the distorted application of the enormous possibilities offered by progress in genetics” and that if the child remained in their care she would either wind up a young orphan, or be forced to take care of them due to their advanced age. But the humiliation was nothing compared to the pain of having their daughter removed from their custody and put up for adoption with a new family. This is not the end, as the couple now plan to challenge the recent court decision at the Supreme Court. They are hopeful that in the end they will get the chance to hold their daughter again and live as a normal family. Luigi is now 75 years old and Gabriella is 63. Their daughter will be turning 7 in two months, and every day that passes is another one of her childhood that they have missed. They hope that it’s not too late to make up for all this lost time. (Oddity Central)


Bad Times Or Just Bad Timing?

The Justice Department charged a group of former and current Navy officials with corruption. This has to do with a years-long bribery scandal that centers around a Singapore-based defense contractor named Leonard Francis aka “Fat Leonard.” Real nickname. Back in 2015, Francis said ‘guilty’ to bribing Navy officials in exchange for favorable treatment for his business. He overcharged for services and cheated the Navy out of tens of millions of dollars. Almost 20 Navy officials have already been charged. In this latest round of charges, the Justice Dept says Francis organized “Wolf of Wall Street”-style sex parties for nine officials – including an admiral – and paid for their luxury hotel stays abroad. Meanwhile, the Marines are also paging Olivia Pope. The timing of this couldn’t come at a worse time since earlier this month, it came out that Marines had been posting nude photos of their female co-workers and others on a private Facebook group with tens of thousands of members. So now, the Senate wants to know what the Marines plan to do about that particular situation. Answer: they’re still trying to figure out who’s responsible and how the photos were obtained. But the general said he’s committed to getting “rid of this perversion of our culture.” (Washington Post)


Man VS Cable Service: An Ongoing Saga?

When a man canceled his Time Warner Cable service back in November, he expected to get a small refund. However, he got a little more than that: a bounced check fee, followed several months later by bills for service he no longer had. The ordeal began when he called Time Warner Cable (now owned by Charter) to cancel service on November 9th. TWC’s billing system charges customers in advance for their service and since he cancelled before the end of the month, he was due a refund of $21.66. He was told the check would be mailed, but two weeks later it still hadn’t landed in his mailbox. At the end of December, he spoke with two additional TWC reps who assured him the check was on the way. When the refund came in January, he took it to the bank. Thinking the situation was resolved, and went on with his life until he found out the check had bounced and his bank had assessed a $12 fee to his account. He immediately contacted TWC and spoke with a rep about the issue. He was told the company would resend the check, including the $12 bounced check fee, for a total refund of $33.66. However, instead of a check, he received a bill from TWC for service from February 4th to March 3rd for $49.99. In the meantime, he says his credit card was credited with a payment of $21.66 — the original anticipated refund amount. Still missing, however, was the $12 bounced check charge the TWC rep said the company would cover. So once again, he  contacted TWC support on Twitter on January 30th to explain the situation and asked the company to refund the erroneous bill. That seems to have happened. However, two weeks ago Andy received another bill for service from March 4 to April 4. Instead of asking for $49.99, this bill had a balance of $6.66, showing the account had received a credit of $43.33, prompting another call to TWC to get it worked out. Finally, his account was credited the $6.66, zeroing out his balance. However, he still hasn’t received the $12 fee refund or an explanation for the additional bills. (Consumerist)




It’s Obviously A Thirst-day!:

*Absolutely Incredible Kid Day  (3rd Thursday)
*Black Press Day
*Campfire Girls Day
*Companies That Care Day (3rd Thursday)
*Curlew Day
*Freedom of Information Day  (On or nearst to 16th)
*Goddard Day
*Lips Appreciation Day
*No Selfies Day
*St. Urho’s Day


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *