Thursday, October 26, 2017

Runaway garbage truck hits store named A Beautiful Mess

A runaway garbage truck has slammed into the front of a New York gift shop named “A Beautiful Mess”, causing extensive damage. Owner Jeri Flack says he received a call from police on Monday (10/23) informing her that a garbage truck rolled away from a gas station, traveled across the street, and crashed into the retail store. The gas station workers say the truck driver parked there to use the bathroom and the truck had rolled away by the time he returned. No one was injured, but the truck’s impact caused serious structural damage to the 200-year-old brick building. Flack says she doesn’t know if she’ll be able to reopen in time for the Christmas shopping season. (Yahoo)


STEM and health care jobs are some of the fastest growing roles in the US

According to Labor Department projections, health-related positions, from occupational therapy assistants to nurse practitioners, make up 8 of the top 15; science and mathematics roles like software developers and statisticians are also expected to grow. The job expected to see the biggest boost by 2026? Solar photovoltaic installers, responsible for installing solar roofs, whose ranks are expected to more than double. Word processors, watch repairers, and telephone operators are some of the jobs expected to decline. (Bloomberg)


Face transplant recipient: ‘I bet it all’ and won

There was only a 50% chance the face transplant that could transform his life would work—and it was a gamble Mississippi’s Pat Hardison won. The ex-Senatobia firefighter received the “world’s most extensive face transplant” in August 2015, after he’d been severely burned 14 years earlier while fighting a house fire. A team of more than 100 medical staff took part in the groundbreaking surgery, which took more than 24 hours, in which Hardison received the face of 26-year-old David Rodebaugh, who’d died in a cycling accident. Though he’d faced a good chance of dying from the procedure, Hardison’s decision to “bet it all” paid off. Recently the 43-year-old took a turn as guest speaker for an organ transplant group to express his gratitude. The transplant “gave me life,” Hardison said in his speech for the Mid-South Transplant Foundation’s “Celebration of Life” event. He noted he’s able to go places now with his kids (they hit Disney World in 2016) and that people usually have no idea from looking at him that he’s had a face transplant. “It’s the first time my two little boys had been anywhere where people didn’t say, ‘What happened?’ … They could tell something had happened, but nobody ever looked at me and said, ‘He got a face transplant.” (USA Today)


Meet The Man Who Abandoned His Family To Live Full Time With Cows

A husband and father-of-two in India has abandoned his family to live full-time with his cows, who he thanks for saving his life. Vijay Parsana, 44, is so obsessed with his cows he bathes, eats, watches television and shares his bed with them. He even drinks their urine and eats their dung. Claiming it’s good for his health. and that he once survived for 22 days on cow’s urine alone. The father of two left his family five years back and started living in a religious retreat, about four miles away from his home in Ahmedabad, in Gujarat, India, to spend time with his cows. Earlier this year he spent over $26,000 on a wedding for two of his herd, and unbelievably his family appear to be fully behind his new life. When Vijay first moved to Ahmedabad he fell into gambling but when he started spending time with his cows he changed. Vijay also owns two bulls, six dogs and more than 2,000 other animals including peacocks, rabbits, birds and snakes but he says that his three cows – Radha, Poonam and Saraswati – hold a special place in his heart. (Information Nigeria)


 Filipino Man Rescued After Spending Three Years Atop 60-Foot-Tall Coconut Tree 

A 47-year-old man from La Paz, in the Agusan del Sur province of the Philippines, had last felt solid ground under his feet in 2014, before climbing a 60-foot-tall coconut tree near his house. He had never come down since, and would have probably stayed atop the tree till the end of his days, had authorities not rescued him by force recently. The man, identified as Gilbert Sanchez, had apparently left his home to live atop a nearby coconut tree three years ago, after being hit on the head with a gun, during an altercation. His mother remembers that he was so afraid that someone would come to kill him that he felt that the only way to stay alive was to climb the tallest tree he could find and stay there. And that’s exactly what he had been doing for the last three years, surviving only on the food and water his mother brought him every day, which he would pull up in his tree haven with an improvised rope. He would relieve himself from the top of the tree, and not even the raging storms, the blistering heat or the ruthless insects could get him to come down. On October 11th, a team of 50 people along with Gilbert’s family tried convincing him to come down voluntarily, one more time, after which they started cutting down the coconut tree with a chainsaw. It was a difficult operation, as one wrong move could make the difference between bringing the man down safely or killing him, but in the end, everything went as planned, and Gilbert was once again on solid ground, after three long years. (Oddity Central)



A woman from Edgewater, Florida allegedly stabbed an off-duty deputy, who tried to de-escalate a fight between her and her ex-boyfriend after she set his house on fire over a teddy bear. Brittany Bonin, 26, is now facing assault, battery and arson charges. Bonin visited her ex-boyfriend’s house in an attempt to retrieve a teddy bear she gave to his 18-month-old baby. Somehow, that led to a fight. The victim ran to his neighbor’s house, which belonged to off-duty deputy Captain Cliff Williams, for help. At that point, the victim’s house was already in flames. Williams tried to protect the victim from Bonin but ended up getting stabbed in his lower back in the process. He is being treated for non-life threatening injuries. A local fire department was able to extinguish the fire, but not before the home suffered a devastating amount of damage. The baby’s room and crib have been destroyed. All the child’s toys have smoke-damage. Bonin has been placed on suicide watch by a judge, who also ordered that she receive a mental health evaluation. (Oxygen)


Salvation Army receives donated urn filled with ashes

A Salvation Army thrift store in New Hampshire has received an urn apparently filled with cremated remains. The Portsmouth Herald reports the urn was donated last week. It’s bronze in color and is engraved “Richard L. Pettengill 1929-1981.” The store is holding onto the urn in an effort to return it to the deceased’s relatives. Portsmouth police Lt. Michael Maloney told the newspaper it’s not a crime to donate an urn with ashes but called it “odd.” Police said the urn and ashes are considered private property, and whoever owned them could do with them what they wish. An obituary ran in the pages of the Herald’s sister paper for a Richard L. Pettengill who died in 1981. He was described as a brick mason who served in the Army. (Yahoo)




Thirstin’ on this Thursday because it’s:

*Howl at The Moon Night
*Intersex Awareness Day
*Mule Day (Historical, not celebration, that honors the importation of the first Spanish Jacks to the US which were a gift from King Charles III of Spain delivered October 26, 1785 in Boston. George Washington then began breeding them in the US.)
*National Day of The Deployed

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *